List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: Licensing (Was: [kde-promo] What's the community up to?)
From:       Aaron Seigo <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-12-09 10:06:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On December 9, 2004 2:54, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> I'm not saying that these problems will never happen on Linux, but at the
> moment switching to Linux is a valid option for users to evade such
> problems.

indeed; however, the solution in the company i work for has been to install
FireFox (on windows) and to do virus/malware scanning of email and files.
even if these problems never come to Linux, we're fixing them on Windows by
giving them applications that don't do this.

an example of this is that P2P apps were the bane of Windows users for spyware
for a long time: it seemed every company that put out a client installed a
billion pieces of spyware gunk. along comes bittorrent which is Free Software
and therefore easy to audit for such things and people use it (because it
rocks =) and the spyware issues from installing Kazaa are much lower it
seems.

the files they download are another issue ;-)

what i'm getting at though is that we should, IMHO, be concerned with keeping
Free Software systems safe from these issues and let the non-Free platforms
take care of themselves. the greater the difference (or imballance, if you
will) between the security/sanity of Linux/KDE/etc is versus Windows the
great the chance people will switch.

communicating that difference effectively is something we also could get
better at (to bring it back on-topic to promo =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric