List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: Licensing (Was: [kde-promo] What's the community up to?)
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-12-09 0:35:14

On Wednesday 08 December 2004 14:31, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 December 2004 13:55, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:

> > > It's there already, http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net
> >
> > This is one project. There are others.
>
> Like?

There are several efforts to port KDE applications to Windows:
- http://www.pi-sync.net
- Aethera includes a Windows port of KOrganizer
(http://www.thekompany.com/projects/aethera/)
- Kexi runs on Windows (that's Jaroslaws effort)
- KDiff3 has a Windows port (http://kdiff3.sf.net)

Then there is ancient code like
http://webcvs.kde.org/kdenox/konq-embed/win32/

I'm sure there are more projects. It's just too tempting because with Qt
on Windows all the hard work is already done.

> > We are missing some coordinated effort.
>
> Afaik kde-cygwin _IS_ a coordinated effort.

As far as I know the projects mentioned above are not coordinated by
kde-cygwin.

What I mean by coordinated effort is that there should be a central
place for all KDE developers doing porting to native Windows for
discussions, sharing code etc.

I think such a coordinated effort should also include Trolltech,
developers of pure Qt application and people interested in running KDE
apps on Windows.

If the KDE framework would also be available on Windows it would be much
more attractive for developers of pure Qt apps to add KDE support. If
we would get some of these developers in the KDE boat we could benefit
a lot.

> > And personally I think cygwin is not the way to go, we need a
> > native Windows version (and with native Qt on Windows we are only a
> > little step away).
>
> That's covered here: http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/qt3-win32/

You mean the port of the GPL version of Qt 3 to Windows is the solution
to the cygwin problem?