List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: Licensing (Was: [kde-promo] What's the community up to?)
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-12-08 23:31:26

On Wednesday 08 December 2004 20:36, Steven Giacomelli wrote:
> My only point is that it is important to have a focus -- if you
> decide to go head to head against Windows' DE in Windows you are
> likely only going to get "specialized" users using KDE instead of the
> current DE or Aero Glass.

We are not talking about porting the complete desktop environment to
Windows. It's only about key applications and the development
framework, that means Kontact, Quanta, Konqueror, not the window
manager or the panel.

So would not compee with Windows, but with Outlook, Internet Explorer,
Firefox etc. With the applications which also run on Linux we already
compete, but we have a bad position because some of them also run on
Windows (see Firefox).

> If the goal is to have mainstream adoption of KDE on Unix like
> enviroments then there needs to be a concerted effort to build links
> with ISVs, large IT companies, consultants etc in the Unix like
> enviroment.

I think our goal should be to get our great Free Software to as many
people as possible. As the Free Software aspect is very important,
Linux as a Free operating system is of course preferable, but having
our software available on Windows opens us a much larger market and
provides a great migration path for users who don't want to abandon
their operating system at once. If we sneak enough applications onto
their Windows desktop they will realize at some point in time that
there is no need to run Windows anymore and they can just switch.

> Companies like HP, Sun, Novell etc use Unix like enviroments to
> compete with Microsoft -- its Unix vs Windows -- if you stradle the
> fence you will not get Microsoft's support and risk upsetting key
> Unix centric allies.

I don't think we will ever get Microsoft's support regardless of what we
do. For companies competing with Microsoft on the desktop operating
system market applications like OpenOffice or Mozilla are some of the
best arguments, one reason is that they provide a smooth migration
path. If we could add some of our applications to the list of these
arguments I don't think we would lose any support or would upset any
existing allies.