List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Who are KDE's main competitors?
From:       Eva Brucherseifer <eva.brucherseifer () basyskom ! de>
Date:       2004-12-05 18:37:33

Am Sonntag, 5. Dezember 2004 00:01 schrieb Navindra Umanee:
> Stephan Binner <binner@kde.org> wrote:
> > > I remember Sun making a lot of noise about getting million-desktop JDS
> > > contracts in a certain Asian country.
> >
> > Yes, noise. The proclaimed intention to "deploy 500.000 to 1 million
> > desktops within one year". This year has passed, did you ever hear how
> > much they did?
>
> Are you implying that the claims were false?

I heard rumours, that they deployed a rather small number of desktops compared
to the numbers you name. It was quite clever to position such a project in
Asia - non of us will travel there to investigate.

> > > I can't remember the details of that, but I can't imagine the reason
> > > to dismiss JDS as a serious competitor.
> >
> > Competitor of what? Of distributions like UserLinux, Ubuntu or NLD? Sure.
> > > -) But a distribution as competitor of a desktop environment? Apples and
> > Pears?
>
> If Sun could displace KDE desktop deployments in a organisation with
> JDS, do you think they would do it?

No, they wouldn't. I am 90% sure.

Here in Germany the city of Treuchtlingen switched to Linux/KDE already 3
years ago. They have their desktops running on Sun hardware. The migration
was not done by Sun, but another company. The desktop itself was migrated by
the system admistrators, they chose KDE.

Last week there was an information day in Treuchtlingen organized by the
company who helped them to do the migration to Linux. Sun talked about the
Sun Java Desktop, even though it wasn't part of this project... this is the
right of the main sponsor, no?

The difficulty with Sun is, that they have large marketing power. Why do
people use Java instead of Qt? Marketing makes the difference.

Greetings,
eva