List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Who are KDE's main competitors?
From:       Stefan Teleman <steleman () nyc ! rr ! com>
Date:       2004-12-05 11:39:14

Just my 0.02:

First (and most important) disclaimer: i do not work for Sun
Microsystems.  i never worked at Sun. Sun does not pay me a dime to
maintain KDE on Solaris, or to say warm and fuzzy things about them.
Ergo, i have no vested material interest in what i am about to say.

I have seen no sign of any conspiracy at Sun to destroy, undermine or
otherwise hinder KDE in any way. Quite the contrary, many people at
Sun, with whom i have had contact, mostly related to KDE on Solaris,
have been very supportive of KDE.

KDE is not a for-profit organization selling a product. It does not
make any money from selling software, nor does it try to.

Sun Microsystems, Inc. is a for-profit corporation. They sell their
products to make a profit (of which we haven't seen much lately).

The idea that they (Sun) are trying to "displace KDE" is not realistic
IMHO. In two of my previous jobs i have worked for commercial
software shops. The hard reality of the sofware business is: you
hardly ever make any money, unless your name is M$, and you are a
government-sponsored monopoly. The cost of developing software, QA
and ongoing maintenance and upgrades makes any chance of a profit
very slim. Very hard to believe that Sun would be spending serious
money on developing their own, new, desktop environent, just to hurt
KDE.

One of the main reasons for JDS' existence is actually Sun customer's
unhappiness (to say the least) with Sun's GNOME. Please don't get me
wrong, i'm not trying to bash GNOME in any way, but let's just say
that Sun's version of GNOME is not exactly what one would call a
"flagship product". They had to come up with something better, and
this "something better" is JDS. That doesn't mean they are trying to
displace KDE, or that they are developing JDS because they are trying
to hinder KDE. They are trying to market and sell their own products,
and their most profitable products are hardware and services, not
desktop software. The reality of Sun's desktop environment has been
CDE for the past 10 years. It was high time for them to build
something new.

0.02.

Cheers,

--Stefan