List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: YaST GPL'ed
From:       Martin Konold <martin.konold () erfrakon ! de>
Date:       2004-03-23 7:32:32

Am Dienstag, 23. März 2004 06:14 schrieb Datschge:

Hi,

> Hm, to be honest I don't know yet either. I didn't use SuSE since the pre
> YaST2 days anymore. On the promo list Scott Wheeler wrote following:
>
> "Actually I don't know if you've ever looked at the code, but it's written
> in a weird meta-style so that it can be used with different GUIs.  One of
> those just happens to be a Qt frontend."

Well, there is a konsole GUI based on ncurses and an X11 GUI based on Qt. YaST
modules are written in an interpreted language and then depending on the
environment (X11 or no X11) the proper GUI is chosen at runtime.

> Reading a couple of resources about it YaST mostly seems to access one
> unified central configuration file where all available settings are stored

This is plain wrong! YaST2 uses LSB conforming individual files
in /etc/sysconfig/

On my SUSE 9.0 Laptop I get:

kepler:~ # find /etc/sysconfig/ | wc -l
    140

> and then calls suseconf which then handles the work of comparing and
> applying the changes to individual configurations files, creating scriptes
> etc. I suppose we will find out more when the source is publically
> released.

The source of YaST2 is available since the very beginning. Simply check your
nearest mirror e.g.

ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.0/suse/src

shows 81 Y2 source packages.

Regards,
-- martin

Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold

e r f r a k o n
Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold@erfrakon.de