List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] KDE tips and tricks series
From:       Tom Chance <lists () tomchance ! org ! uk>
Date:       2004-01-16 1:20:54

Hello,

A friend of mine is putting together a series of tips and tricks for KDE.
They're a bit like those listed in the KDE Wiki [1], only with a slightly
different focus.

The motivation was that whenever KDE is discussed in relation to GNOME, XFCE,
Windows, MacOSX and other competing technologies we find ourselves mentioning
kio_slaves, view profiles and other features which, for us, make KDE
significantly more productive than the competition. They will work as much as
a way of showing off KDE technology as of showing KDE users things they might
never have considered.

Two examples we're working on at the moment are:
1) Using fish/ftp kio slaves, bookmarks and kate instead of an FTP/ssh client
2) Using fish/ftp kio slaves and konqueror view profiles (split window, size,
etc.) instead of an FTP client

The reason I'm posting this here without anything to show is that I'd like to
hear from anyone who has any similar clever uses of KDE technologies,
particularly more complex or groundbreaking ones like DCOP and KJSEmbed, that
don't require technical knowledge and that go a bit further than "create a
(generic) service menu!".

I look forward to hearing any amazing uses of KDE...

Regards,
Tom

[1] http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=Tips+and+Tricks