List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: AW: [kde-promo] Fwd: Linux World Expo, NYC
From:       "Kurt Pfeifle" <kpfeifle () danka ! de>
Date:       2004-01-01 21:29:17

tackat@t-online.de wrote:

> > It does not sound like sonething I would want to  do
>

> Why? How exactly is that different from doing cross promotion by using /
> showing off a SuSE box / package at the KDE booth? Indeed I see a big
> advantage for us in
>
> - educating visitors about several KDE related issues / advantages
> - giving another incentive for raising funds,
> - giving another reason to visit the KDE booth

I agree. (But maybe Mirko wanted to say that he didn't have time himself
for the event?)

However, I would make one condition for it. We should change the
one question Mr. Krause proposed to this: "4. TRUE or false?
"--> NALeKRA sells laptops without the Microsoft tax, but with the
powerful KDE desktop pre-installed"

And of course, make sure that KDE is really installed and pre-configured
well on that box  Oh, and we should make sure that the live-CD boots on
it....   ;-)

In fact this is an *excellent*, *brilliant* opportunity! It is a
marvellous offer to make to KDE -- even if it is a very cheap laptop!

Imagine the ballyhoo and publicity and exposure you can create with
that one "story" for the visitors of the event. imagine how many
stories would pick it up when reporting from LWE... We could have a
"dot" story in advance and we can have an interview with the happy
winner later. We can have a dot story with the sponsor (and we should
make him enter his data into "enterprise.kde.org" also, of course!)

> And although it may sound stupid, but usually if I get free popcorn,
> jelly bears or win something exciting at a booth this improves my
> opinion about the involved companies a lot (although technically this
> might make absolutely no sense at all - still I guess that it works that
> way for most people ... seems to work similar to Pawlow ;-)

Yes, absolutely true. And if it is a very valuable price you could
win there, you'd go and have a look at it.

> Did I miss something?

Yes! This is not about pop-corn and jelly-bears, but a laptop with
Linux and KDE pre-installed, given as a gift to us.

Oh, boy, -- I can imagine that you can make a few thousand bucks
with this. It should make enough to sponsor the travel cost of
2 North American KDE contributors to come to the 2004 conference.
If we could make a similar sum at CeBIT with just the live-CD, one
should be able to make such a sum with a CD plus a raffle with
a KDE laptop to win! One could have 2 people going round that
exhibition and sell "1 CD for 5.- $US" and "1 CD + 1 raffle ticket:
10.- $US". If you explain that this is for the benefit of KDE,
for the sponsoring of 2 developers to fly over to the meeting,
you will get a lot of sympathy, and no-one would complain that
this is too much money for a raffle ticket....

> Torsten

Cheers,
Kurt   [ speaking from my own experience here.... ]