List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Re: KDE CVS Developers Edition of Knoppix (Knopdex)
From:       Mark Bucciarelli <mark () easymailings ! com>
Date:       2003-06-25 13:58:24

On Wednesday 25 June 2003 9:19 am, Datschge wrote:

[...]

> I stopped promoting this however since a majority of people seem to
> see only the possible bad side of such a live CD

I hope these people speak up again.  I see the potential risks:

(1) bugzilla get's cluttered with bug reports against CVS
(2) things crash, people think KDE is poor quality

However, these two risks can be mitigated by using KSplash (as Charles
suggested), so everytime the CD comes you blast the message again:

THIS IS CUTTING EDGE STUFF,
FOR KDE CONTRIBUTORS,
NOT PRODUCTION USE.

Maybe an artist could make a quick sketch that communicates this idea
graphically.  Maybe something that involves lots of bugs overcoming a
small person with a fly net, or a posse of bugs smashing one of those
big electric zappers?  :)

Isn't it A Good Thing to have lots of people banging on the code that
is in CVS?  to have an easy way for new contributors to come on
board?

I guess what it comes down to is how much of a barrier to people think
compiling from anonymous CVS is.  I think it is a high barrier for
someone who is dabbling but curious, particularly if they are a
windows developer.

[...]

> It's obvious that a KDE CVS live CD hardly will ever offered
> officially by KDE

Why obvious?

[...]

> If there'll ever be a public release it better has its own
> Bugzilla where bugs from the live CD are collected and only
> forwarded to bugs.kde.org if they are confirmed in CVS.

Cool idea.  Hmmm, this might be worth working on.

> As for now I guess it's a good idea to keep Knopdex private and
> only give it to interested persons who can prove to be active
> contributors to or knowledgeable supporters of KDE and know about
> the whole difficulty of this issue.

Is this opinion because your previous attempts have been strongly
opposed and you are tired of fighting for your idea or because you
think it is the best?

> Cheers, Datschge =)

Regards,

Mark