List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE CVS Developers Edition of Knoppix (Knopdex)
From:       Charles de Miramon <cmiramon () kde-france ! org>
Date:       2003-06-25 13:05:39

Le Mercredi 25 Juin 2003 05:05, James Michael Greenhalgh a écrit :

I think your work is great and I've set some spare space on my new laptop
hardisk to install your packages. As you said in, your message, your package
are a very valuable tool for translators and in general for the larger
community of KDE fellows who would like to participate but have not the time
or the knowledge to compile from scratch KDE. I see no reason not to do more
publicity around your work.

I think a good addition to your package would be to have a custom KSplash with
an explicit label that people are booting an unstable development version of
KDE. Then nobody could be burnt unaware.

On a more broad scope, I think the KDE project should adopt a 3 floors
approach for releases :
- The bleeding edge CVS for the KDE Fellows and fans
- The regular releases for home users and desktop oriented distributions
- The last release of a major version, for example KDE 3.1.4 would be renamed
KDE 3 Gold to explain that the release manager believes that is a release
with the least bugs and the most polished for a certain set of features. The
"Gold" releases would be aimed at corporate desktop who don't want to upgrade
their software more than once a year. It is just a marketing trick but my
experience talking with IT professionnals is that they are afraid of the
avalanche of releases of the KDE project and they need some kind of guidance.

Cheers,
Charles
--
cmiramon@kde-france.org