List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Re: KDE 3.2 release cycle
From:       Datschge <datschge () gmx ! net>
Date:       2003-05-17 9:44:14

Charles de Miramon wrote:
> Why not make more publicity for Konstruct and for the debian cvs packages
> done by Orth (http://opendoorsoftware.com/cgi/http.pl?p=kdecvs;frame=1).
>
> I don't know if I would spread a cvs Knoppix. Stability is a key argument
> for promoting KDE to the business user. Outside the geek community, you'll
> find little understanding for half broken application. Geeks can use
> Konstruct or install a Debian partition with orth packages if they want to
> bleed.

The point for live CD's wasn't to give an easier way for users to install the
latest bleeding edge stuff (even though it can be used for such) but to offer
a harmless way to preview the latest additions and improvements of KDE's CVS
Head *without* the need for digging into the whole (for them scary)
compile/installation stuff. What we should do is promoting the latest
additions and improvements without the audience needing to install it
themselves (which always implies a certain level productive usability) to
check the changes out. Knoppix based live CD's are the ideal solution here
since they give access to a full system without any barrier or danger for the
already installed productivity system. Of course this kind of live CD should
have "technology preview, not intended for productivity use" printed all
over. Just imagine, this kind of live CD would be very easy to check out for
any press reporter to report about the latest changes in some popular media.

Or am I missing something here?
Cheers, Datschge =)