List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Re: KDE 3.2 release cycle
From:       Datschge <datschge () gmx ! net>
Date:       2003-05-17 9:44:14

Charles de Miramon wrote:
> Why not make more publicity for Konstruct and for the debian cvs packages \
>  done by Orth (http://opendoorsoftware.com/cgi/http.pl?p=kdecvs;frame=1).
>
> I don't know if I would spread a cvs Knoppix. Stability is a key argument
> for promoting KDE to the business user. Outside the geek community, \
> you'll find little understanding for half broken application. Geeks can \
> use Konstruct or install a Debian partition with orth packages if they \
> want to bleed.

The point for live CD's wasn't to give an easier way for users to install \
the  latest bleeding edge stuff (even though it can be used for such) but \
to offer  a harmless way to preview the latest additions and improvements \
of KDE's CVS  Head *without* the need for digging into the whole (for them \
scary)  compile/installation stuff. What we should do is promoting the \
latest  additions and improvements without the audience needing to install \
it  themselves (which always implies a certain level productive usability) \
to  check the changes out. Knoppix based live CD's are the ideal solution \
here  since they give access to a full system without any barrier or danger \
for the  already installed productivity system. Of course this kind of live \
CD should  have "technology preview, not intended for productivity use" \
printed all  over. Just imagine, this kind of live CD would be very easy to \
check out for  any press reporter to report about the latest changes in \
some popular media.

Or am I missing something here?
Cheers, Datschge =)