List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Fwd: Knoppix, KDE
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-05-12 15:33:47

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Montag, 12. Mai 2003 09:37, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     You don't support compromises (at least this is the impression you
> create in my mind), at least not here.
>

> We will cannot teach people to value freedom if our actions treat it
> as secondary.  To lead people to reject non-free software, we have to
> reject it.  Our actions have to underscore our words: if we distribute
> non-free programs to them, that will show we are willing to give up
> our freedom, andit will teach them to do the same.

....which is what the distributors already do good enough. We write free
software and if we want to promote *our* free software then we should stick
to what is free if we have to use additional parts that make the promotion of
our free software more useful.

So in the end, view it as this: if you want to create something more useful
with the rejection of the idea to keep it completely free, then take the
postion of the distributors taking the code and making distributions that
they make more valuable in terms of usefulness when they add non-free
software on top. We would, just like with our free code, provide something
that is free. That is what I think should be our consistency.

Ralf

Ralf Nolden
nolden@kde.org