List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Fwd: Knoppix, KDE
From:       Richard Stallman <rms () gnu ! org>
Date:       2003-05-12 7:37:17

    You don't support compromises (at least this is the impression you create
    in my mind), at least not here.

I make compromises every day, but I must not compromise in a way
that gives people the wrong idea of the goal.

Convincing people to adopt GNU/Linux is good, all else being equal.
But thousands of people are doing that.  IBM is doing that.  I'm
trying to do something more unusual: help people remember the goal of
freedom.

To achieve any goal, the most important thing is to remember the goal.
The goal of freedom is half-forgotten in our community and becoming
more so.  Our community is full of people who believe that goal is
merely to make a system that is "very useful" and don't treat freedom
as very important.

If we let ourselves drift with them, we will never achieve the goal of
making it possible to use a computer well in freedom.  We will end up
with attractive systems composed of free and non-free software, which
are useless for anyone who wants to be free.

We will cannot teach people to value freedom if our actions treat it
as secondary.  To lead people to reject non-free software, we have to
reject it.  Our actions have to underscore our words: if we distribute
non-free programs to them, that will show we are willing to give up
our freedom, andit will teach them to do the same.