List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] To all Dutch-speaking readers
From:       "Bas v.d. Wiel" <bas () kompas-media ! nl>
Date:       2003-04-29 13:07:30

> Yes, we paid something like 400 € without VAT for 2000 flyers and we have a
> lot of them left and they get quickly obsolete. KDE is moving so fast :-)
> But, if you have a Dutch flyer, you could put a HTML version on the Dutch KDE
> LiveCD, send it by e-mail, etc... In my opinion, it is useful to have a
> marketing text up to date when you need it.
>
> Cheers,
> Charles

My first goal is not to get the flyers printed immediately, that'd be
pretty useless right now since we have nobody in particular to give
thousands of flyers to. But providing an up-to-date PDF file (all
serious print shops eat PDF these days) would be useful in case some big
event turns up and we need flyers quickly.

Cost savings in traditional offset printing are enormous when you don't
choose full colour printing, but go for one or two spot colours instead.
When properly applied two colours can give a very professional
appearance while practically halving the printing costs. Also many
smaller print shops don't have a 4-press installation to process full
colour flyers in a single run. Most small shops have 2 presses in line,
which means they'll have to make a second run for full colour. That
extra run costs money because the two presses have to be cleaned out,
refilled with totally different ink colours, and brought back up to
proper colour. That way you lose a lot of potentially good flyers to
calibration runs.. and guess who pays for those. Whenever you get flyers
offset printed anywhere, ask about their press setup so you can adapt
your use of colour to that. It saves a lot of money. Also adapting your
design's number of colours to the number of presses prevents
misalignment of ink layers (registration error) which shows up as ugly
artifacts around hard edges.

Another alternative for small batches would be digital printing. This
works a lot like regular desktop printing in that it is always 4-colour
and doesn't use printing plates but it looks almost exactly like
professional grade offset printing. Most printers charge between 50 and
100 euro's in processing costs for the initial document. This document
then goes into the print shops' database for a predetermined amount of
time (a year is pretty standard). Whenever you need flyers, you just
order them from the print shop and they are priced per-piece. You could,
hypothetically, order a single flyer from them at hardly any cost if you
pick it up at the shop yourself. The exact price per copy depends on
size and type of paper but usually is around 0,10 to 0,25 euro's. Size
is usually limited to A3+ and you usually pay per sheet. Designing so
that 2 flyers fit 1 sheet (and handing in an A3+ document with 2 flyers
properly imposed on it) thus cuts the cost in half.

Digital printing also allows personalization and minor editing to the
original processed document. Things like dates and the names of events
can be changed on the press at only very slight extra cost. For smaller
events digital printing may be an attractive option. You could get 250
flyers for 25 euro's+shipping (6 euro's for such a small package here in
Holland if I recall correctly).

I personally got 500 business cards for about 90 euro's printed
digitally, and I'm very happy with them. The low price here is due to
the huge number of business cards that goes onto a single A3+ sheet.

Bas

Bas v.d. Wiel
Kompas Media
tel. 073-6234654