List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Address database for press contacts
From:       Tink <tink () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-04-22 14:47:13

At 14:59 +0200 22/04/03, Scott Wheeler wrote about Re: [kde-promo]
Address database for press contacts:

I just want to add my last 2 cents,

> > Instead of spending time copying a book into a database, you can actually
> > help directly KDE.
> >
> > For you info, I have been running a comany for two years with 4 people and
> > we had plenty of html files for managing our press and commercial contacts.
> > It worked out very well.

Don't get me wrong I know how hard it is to be self employed, but
running a small business with 4 employees can hardly be compared with
a large worldwide project as KDE is. What works for a small French
company doesn't necessarily have to work for a large structured
project.

> > > If it keeps working properly after some time we can start attracting
> > > people from other countries to fill their parts of the system and maybe
> > > attract some funding for colocation of the box..
> >
> > blah blah blah.
> >
> > Right now, KDE promotion has the problem that almost nobody does something
> > really useful. Before "attracting people from other countries by filling a
> > database", you could just get in contact with those journalists, and if it
> > is successful. Then write here on how you got KDE pushed in the press. That
> > will get people from other countries join.

To be honest I find this remark very very rude. Bas is a journalist,
not a developer who is trying to do something positive for promotion.
If no structure exist you need to start at the bottom. Setting up a
database with contacts is extremely useful. What you do not need is a
splintering of kde-pr resources. There has to be a large basic
structure from which localized kde sections can draw.

I have had it with the negative remarks and bickering on this list.
No-one is _really_ interested in improving te situation and most
people have the 'why try something new' attitude. Well for one reason
because the old way didn't work. If it would have worked we would
have seen remarkable results the last few years but we haven't have
we?

I will continue work with a small group of dedicated people on KDE
PR, I will not however allow myself to be sucked in the flow of
negatism that has been going on here. Having a postive discussion
seems out of the question on this list.

Chris: if you need me you know where to reach me.

Bas: Please contact me off list at tink@kde.org regarding designing
kde-nl promo materials, I think I can help.

--
Tink
France