List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] WSJ Strikeout and TypeHeads [LONG]
From:       "Bas v.d. Wiel" <bas () kompas-media ! nl>
Date:       2003-04-10 23:45:47

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 01:28, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> On Thursday 10 April 2003 23:52, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> > But it makes more sense, and is often as or more
>
> Oops.  That's what I get for writing the email off and on over an hour.  That
> should have been, "But it makes more sense, and is often more effective to
> start off with some of the smaller things."
>
> In responce to some of the things Tink said especially -- there will have to
> be a mix of organization and people just doing stuff.  Basically I think that
> any sort of organization falls into the category of things that somebody just
> needs to start.

In my experience it's very hard to have people just do things and have
it done right. There'd probably also be a lot of duplication of effort
going on pretty soon. Some coordination is necessary for any effort
undertaken by multiple people. I'm totally new to this list, but if
you'll excuse my boldness, I'd suggest something like an online
clearinhouse for ideas and tasks.

Open source development benefits greatly from things like bugzilla, why
shouldn't other efforts be able to do the same? A crossbreed between a
forum and bugzilla would seem ideal. It would eliminate duplication of
effort and allows people to get inspired by the ideas of others. A
mailing list is good for discussion, but doesn't allow its members to
manage a common task list. I'm sure there must be a free online task
management system available that could fill this role.

If my idea appeals to you I'm willing to dig deeper into possibilities
for this and set up a server to give it a try. I don't have the biggest
pipe in the world to the internet, but it'd be a start..

Of course, since I'm new to this list, this may have been proposed many
times before, making my post redundant. In that case I'm sorry for
wasting your time..

> -Scott

Kind regards,

Bas