List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] WSJ Strikeout and TypeHeads [LONG]
From:       Scott Wheeler <wheeler () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-04-10 21:52:27

On Thursday 10 April 2003 21:59, Christopher TenHarmsel wrote:

> I haven't gotten this email, and I would love to know how to help.  I think
> part of the problem to is legitimacy.  In order for me to feel comfortable
> doing some of these things (conducting interview, writing article, etc), I
> have to feel like I'm a legitimate part of the team.  What if I'm
> interviewing someone, and they ask me, "You represent KDE?  How come you
> don't have an @kde.org email, and why doesn't your name show up anywhere,
> are you sure you're with KDE?"   I am going to have no idea what to say.  I
> don't have any credibility.

There are two levels of PR that are important.  I would call what you're
talking about "high level".  But it makes more sense, and is often as or more

The place to start is talks to local LUGs, presentations at local schools or
whatever.  Really, most people will believe you if say you're doing KDE
things.  I don't think the term "represent KDE" should be thrown around, but
if you say "I'd like to talk to you about KDE" you might at times get a
responce.

Talk to local newspapers about writing short articles or editorials, etc.  See
if you can drop off some Knoppix CDs in a library or school.

Going back to the "high level" stuff.  Yes, it requires a certain amount of
"credibility", but this *comes* from doing the smaller stuff.

> I agree with this too, but I think good guidelines for what someone can do
> need to be in place.  Something more than, "Want to promote KDE? Tell
> everyone about it!"  because chances are that people are already doing this,
> I think (personally anyway) it would be nice to have a central group
> orchestrating promo efforts that new people can go to for guidance, and have
> that core group somehow be able to lend credibility to new people, or at
> least provide methods for them to build credibility as a KDE
> "promoter/spokesperson"

Well, honestly just *doing* stuff is the place to start.  You choose what you
want to do.  Think KDE needs a press kit?  Volunteer to organize the creation
of one.  Think KDE needs more "on the ground folks" -- start contacting them.
Think KDE needs "success stories" -- again, right one for your company / Uni
/ friend's company.

> I'm here, I'll help out anyway I can :)

Yep there's a lot of this.  Basically the missing link is that there won't be
someone that steps in and gives you a TODO list and a deadline.  Use your
judgement and keep up informed of what you're working on.  If it's cool other
people will jump in.  :-)

Cheers and good luck!

-Scott

--
There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer
shelf life.