List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] (fwd) NX Project Announcement
From:       Martin Konold <martin.konold () erfrakon ! de>
Date:       2003-03-30 15:06:23

Am Samstag, 29. März 2003 01:51 schrieb Kurt Pfeifle:

Hi Dirk,
Hi Kurt,

> Dirk Mueller wrote on kde-promo:

> > might be interesting.
>
> Definitely it *IS* interesting

I very much agree with Kurt here. After the NX stuff was announced on the
xfree forum ml I gave it a try. These guys really make it right! They
definetly know what they are doing. Especially I checked their low latency
stuff and the persistent file based cache.

> I am testdriving NX since a few days and this is by *far* the fastest
> "remote destop-ing" system I have ever seen. The performance across
> an internet link is really astonishing. It is better than what I have
> even on my LAN (or via a crosslink cable between desktop and laptop)
> using krdc/krfb!

Kurt: You are comparing apples and oranges. Instead of comparing NX with vnc
you should compare it to pure X11. X11 already knows about all the remote
desktop features of NX. NX basically modifies X11 in a way LBX always tried
but never succeeded.

Still NX is an extreme improvement to XFree86.

> [Be
> warned: you will be encountering a semi-broken RedHat desktop there -- but
> I think Gian Filippos offer to help develop an Open Source version of NX is
> worth while exploring.]
>
> A KDE version of NX could be a reall killer application for its usage
> on the desktop in large offices and organizations.

The NX Client already works nicely with KDE. Actually when playing an mp3
remotely the client already proxies the audio stream to my local artsd. Even
klipper works as expected. Of course native KDE config dialogs etc. would be
nice. Maybe even some D&D could lead to interesting usage patterns.

> NX seems to be able provide (clustered) application servers, which can
> serve and satisfy hundreds or even thousands of client machines. It will
> open the door to a new kind of "network computing" for many users.

X11 was able to do this for many years! So in order not to repeat myself to
often:

- The main thing NX does is on one hand a much more efficient version of the
X11 protocol and on the other hand providing a lean and free (as in beer)
client for many operating systems incl. Unix/Linux, Windows, Opie,
Symbian....

IMHO the main feature with regards to kde-promo and NX is that NX finally
makes thin client / fat server computing a REAL alternativ. Sofar ICA was 20
times better than the bloated X11 protocoll.

Regards,
-- martin
P.S.: My NX testdrive was my first real usage of the RH KDE setup. Oh my god
it is really _extremly_ broken :-((

Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold

e r f r a k o n
Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold@erfrakon.de