List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE or Gnome ?
From:       Charles de Miramon <cmiramon () kde-france ! org>
Date:       2003-03-09 11:48:13

Le Vendredi 7 Mars 2003 23:32, Oliver Strutynski a écrit :
> On Friday 07 March 2003 16:43, Philippe Fremy wrote:
> > By the way, the multiple language support of KDE is joke too. Despite a
> > very good python binding for Qt, I don't know of any PyQt app, except the
> > one I wrote. And I don't know about any other Qt or KDE application
> > written in a language that is not C++, to my regret.
>
> A quick search on apps.kde.com turned up
>
> Quickrip: http://www.tomchance.uklinux.net/projects/quickrip.shtml and
> PySP: http://pysp.progoth.com/

I think Python and QT (or KDE) shines for applications for a niche market
comparable to VB Basic where you want to combine a database backend and a
quickly developped frontend. Look :
Kura : http://www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt/linguistics/ (for linguistic research)
Auto-Retail : http://auto-auction.sourceforge.net/ (for administration of an
auto-retail business).

The Pykde mailing list is very active and there is a small but growing
communituy of developpers. I think that most are developping in-house
programs (for example for Scientific purposes) or commercial applications.
They are some general programs written in python and KDE like Desktopdig and
Eric the Python IDE, but my guess is that Python and KDE will fill the same
market that VB has for Windows. If there is some kind of integration between
Zope backends and PyQT frontend, it could also be a competitor to Java and
.Net.

C++ and Python are not really competitors in KDE ; they aim at different tasks
and are quite complementary.

Cheers,
Charles
--