List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE or Gnome ?
From:       Philippe Fremy <phil () freehackers ! org>
Date:       2003-03-07 21:43:09

On Friday 07 March 2003 17:42, Eva Brucherseifer wrote:
> On Friday 07 March 2003 15:23, Gérard Delafond wrote:
> > Here is an interesting survey about the differences between Gnome and
> > KDE.
> >
> > http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2003/0228.petreley-p3.html
>
> Great article! IMHO he biggest problem of KDE is, that people don't know
> the great features. I also learned some new ones in this article...
>
> BTW, 2 weeks ago we had the "You have to use C++ to write to KDE, but I
> can use any language to write for GNOME."-argument on kde-solaris brought
> up by the sun guys...

What was your answer ? Last time I checked (around one year ago), the
multiple language of Gnome was just a joke. Half of the "supported
language" only support gtk, and most of them only support an old version
(ie, they are not maintainted). All of them had almost no documentation.

Not to forget that some gnome applications are written in C++, like
GnomeMeeting.

The real interesting thing is why this ? With a C++ API, you can get a lot
of information on the API by parsing the headers. This is what the
kdebindings do, using perl. But this is not possible for gnome because most
of the internal of their objects is hidden in struct hacks. So each
maintainer has to do a big diff between gnome releases and update manually
its binding. You understand why it is unmaintained. The most laughable part
of it is that each maintainer was doing that for its own binding, nobody
was using the work of another binding.

They were supposed to fix a part of these problems. I don't know if it has
happened.

By the way, the multiple language support of KDE is joke too. Despite a very
good python binding for Qt, I don't know of any PyQt app, except the one I
wrote. And I don't know about any other Qt or KDE application written in a
language that is not C++, to my regret.

	regards,

	Philippe