List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Demo CDs for Sale
From:       "Kurt Pfeifle" <kpfeifle () danka ! de>
Date:       2003-02-14 16:52:16

Eva Brucherseifer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as discussed in the thread on Trophees du libre, also the German team already
> started a discussion on selling DemoCDs, mostly inspired by the very good
> KnoppixKDE-beta.
> Kurt Pfeifle got some prices and convinced me, that 1000 CDs isn't too much
> (thank you, Kurt ;-) The price is 600€ for 1000 CDs with 4-color-printed
> lable, 500 CDs are at 500€. It would be great if the League could help us
> with that.

The figures are roughly correct (but don't forget to add VAT, as usual
with these kind of quotes) -- we got it in writing.

> We want to sell the CDs at a price of 3-5 €. The first expo would be CeBit,
> the world's largest IT expo. Our idea is to visit other companie's booths and
> to run demos on their computers and sell them our CDs ;-)

One thing is very important: CeBIT is not allowing *anybody* to *sell*
anything.

What we'd do then is politely asking for a *donation* which is truely
reflecting the appreciation of the donor for KDE and his astonishment
about what he/she's seen....    ;-)

> Of course very
> important persons would get a free copy.

Of course. And the very very important persons would be asked to get
themselves a dozen and pass them on to their colleagues when they're
back home....    ;-)

We could also "take order" -- they get send so many if they offer to
donate so much to the KDE cause. (BTW, I'd say that the e.V. should
be receiving the profits.)

> Now about the CD:
> We (Kurt and i) were impressed by the recent KnoppixKDE beta.

Yes -- thanks a lot Eaton!  (And, BTW, the "distcc" stuff on it works
amazingly well with gcc-2.95!)

> But of course it
> can be made even better ;-) Here are my notes:
> Besides the english and the german translation we maybe also should include
> french and spanish, depending on the space maybe also spanish. BTW, maybe the
> country shouldn't be USA, but changed to "C default".
> Also we'd like to have OpenOffice on the CD. The reason is, that it doesn't
> make much sense to show KDE alone, but usually people want to see wether this
> KDE/Linux thing is usable as a workplace. Therefore you need to show a very
> good working office suite.

I agree. OpenOffice is a "must-be-included". Also LyX.

> Unfortunately koffice is far from being comparable
> > -(
> Also we should include some utility software which makes the CD valuable for
> trouble-shooting.

screen, snort, scli, skli, scribus, acroread, a2ps, xpp, htmldoc, flphoto,
gimp-print (recent version, not such out-dated stuff), w3m, lynx, lyx, ....

> Ralf brought up another valid point: Knoppix is based on various systems, like
> debian woody, debian unstable and even RedHat. If people install knoppix on
> their HD (which is possible), they are not able to do security updates... can
> we do anything about this?

We shouldn't encourage people to do a KD install of *this* Knoppix
versions. (I hope if the trend to Knoppix keeps gaining momentum,
some people who understand enough about it, will create a version
of Knoppix which is "clean" in that respect. As long as it doesn't
exist, we should not encourage it and point to the shortcomings.)

> Though I think, we should definitly focus on the
> promo aspect of the CD.

Definitely.

> Looking forward to your feedback,
> eva