List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Demo CDs for Sale
From:       Eva Brucherseifer <eva () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-02-14 16:12:38

Hi,

as discussed in the thread on Trophees du libre, also the German team already
started a discussion on selling DemoCDs, mostly inspired by the very good
KnoppixKDE-beta.
Kurt Pfeifle got some prices and convinced me, that 1000 CDs isn't too much
(thank you, Kurt ;-) The price is 600€ for 1000 CDs with 4-color-printed
lable, 500 CDs are at 500€. It would be great if the League could help us
with that.
We want to sell the CDs at a price of 3-5 €. The first expo would be CeBit,
the world's largest IT expo. Our idea is to visit other companie's booths and
to run demos on their computers and sell them our CDs ;-) Of course very
important persons would get a free copy.

Now about the CD:
We (Kurt and i) were impressed by the recent KnoppixKDE beta. But of course it
can be made even better ;-) Here are my notes:
Besides the english and the german translation we maybe also should include
french and spanish, depending on the space maybe also spanish. BTW, maybe the
country shouldn't be USA, but changed to "C default".
Also we'd like to have OpenOffice on the CD. The reason is, that it doesn't
make much sense to show KDE alone, but usually people want to see wether this
KDE/Linux thing is usable as a workplace. Therefore you need to show a very
good working office suite. Unfortunately koffice is far from being comparable
> -(
Also we should include some utility software which makes the CD valuable for
trouble-shooting.
Ralf brought up another valid point: Knoppix is based on various systems, like
debian woody, debian unstable and even RedHat. If people install knoppix on
their HD (which is possible), they are not able to do security updates... can
we do anything about this? Though I think, we should definitly focus on the
promo aspect of the CD.

Looking forward to your feedback,
eva