List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Re: [Important] When talking about Aegypten or
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2003-02-01 19:32:34

Hi,

Your points are all well-taken.  And if this were an issue, it would be
important to get right.

But the point of *why* the project was funded / contracted / whatever, was not
an issue.  If someone writes a story on KDE, they are in the driver's seat.  You
do not get to pick what is important, and what is published.  They do.  And if
you bother them about it, they are just as likely to talk to someone else next
time.  Do not try to force an agenda on reporters.  You can try to guide them,
and I did in the interview, by focusing on what I thought was most important,
but in the end you must accept it is their magazine/website and their story and
they get to write what they want.  In fact if they want they can write a story
that says KDE is terrible.  By glad they were honest and wrote it is great :-).

The way an interview goes, the reporter asks some questions, you answer them.
The funding issue was not even a question in this case, as the reporter knew
about that.  And if I am spontaneously to raise a few issues about KDE, the
details of this funding are not it.  Why?  B/c (a) this is not the most
important point I can make about KDE; and (b) I do not think the reporter would
publish that anyway, and the few seconds I have to speak freely I focus on what
I think he will publish (i.e., what I think he thinks his readers care about).

I think there will come a time when all this comes to the front burner though.
As soon as the German gov't rolls out this solution in its agencies, then we do
a press release emphasizing all these points.  We can do a story about how the
project got funded and why and the details and the rollout.  If this story is
published, then these details you mention may very likely end up in the press
coverage - but even in that case there is no gurantee.  B/c the reporter chooses
what to write, not us :-).

What goes into a story is the reporter's total choice, we just sit back and be
happy we got positive coverage.

All in my opinion, of course :-).

Ciao,

Dre