List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] recording a KDE session
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-01-31 4:05:28

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 12:48:28AM +0100, Tim Jansen wrote:
> My last, remaining problem is that I havent found a command line tool for
> recording. The requirements are:
> - must take a OSS source (there is no ALSA driver for my USB headset)

most tools still use oss, in fact.

> - must be able to specify the OSS device (because I have several OSS devices)

show me one that does not allow this (and i'll whack the author :) ...

> - must be able to stream the sound into a wavfile while it is
> recording

that's impossible. the wav-file contains a header, that cannot be
written until the file is complete. you can try it, but don't be
surprised if the reading end explodes.
luckily lame has the ability to encode raw samples, so no problem here.

> - should be able to write the data to STDOUT (even though a fifo solution may
> be possible as well)

verylamesampler /dev/stdout   :)
every halfways sane os offers such an option.

> I haven't found a tool that fulfills all these requirements. As soon as I
> have, I can record with live-audio...

cat /dev/dsp :)
well, it's not ideal, as it will sample with the default settings.
search freshmeat or use grep-available from debian.

greetings