List:       kde-promo
Subject:    RE: [kde-promo] misconceptions and FAQs
From:       Philippe FREMY <P.FREMY () OBERTHURCS ! com>
Date:       2002-03-18 10:53:04

> personally, i'm fairly tired of reading them over and over again and this
has
> led me to think about possible solutoins. one concept i've managed to come
up
> with is a series of FAQ-like documents for various components of KDE that
> succinctly verify or refute commonly held opinions / assertions about KDE.

> the language would be brief and non-technical in nature. a very simple
format
> something like this could be used:

This is really a great idea.

> releasing such a document every week or three for a different
> component / aspect of KDE might go a long ways to combating the storm of
> misunderstandings around KDE that seem to exist out there.

I don't think we need to release such a document every week.
The misconceptions on KDE are years old after all.

> they would need to archived somewhere easy to get at and announced in
> appropriate venues. updates would need to occur over time as well ...

For me, a html page updated regularly (every few month) would already do a
lot of good. The first thing I need to make clear with explaining KDE to
uneducated developers are:
- there is no licensing issue
- Qt it is GPL
- KDE is free
- there is no licensing issue
- the licensing issue is resolved
- there is a component model without corba
- there are bindings for KDE
- there is scripting support for KDE

I am not for dividing it into many section. Perhaps technical and general,
but not more.
Dividing up too much tends to make information difficult to find.

> do you think this would be a worthwhile use of time? would
> you support such an effort?

You have my full support/help.

> what other ways could misinformation be addressed?

- making big fuss about this document and pointing it out in all KDE trolls.
- writing articles that show how much KDE is powerful and addressing some of
these issue at the beginning of the article.

	regards,

	Philippe