List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] misconceptions and FAQs
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () qualityassistant ! com>
Date:       2002-03-17 22:01:28

On Sunday March 17, 2002 01:39, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> one concept i've
> managed to come up with is a series of FAQ-like documents for various
> components of KDE that succinctly verify or refute commonly held
> opinions / assertions about KDE. the language would be brief and
> non-technical in nature. a very simple format something like this could
> be used:

> Common opinion ...
> Answer ...

Powerful idea.  Here's some of my suggestions for entries, as food for
thought:

Common opinion: KDE starts slowly because it's bloated and inefficient.
<insert C environment here> starts fast, after all.
Answer: bad linkers, objprelink, prelink
binutils/GNU libc

Common opinion: KDE isn't free software in the GNU sense, but is merely
open source
Answer: All KDE and Qt licenses are free software
as free software

Common opinion: KDE is done just by Europeans.
Answer: i18n.kde.org, worldwide.kde.org

Common opinion: A browser-only application using khtml (like Galeon) would
use less memory than Konqueror.

Common opinion: KDE has no businesses supporting it, and will die as a
result.

Common opinion: KDE doesn't have theme support to let people make it pretty
to their own tastes

Common opinion: KDE has severe NIH syndrome, rejecting code sharing and
stnadards with others
Answer: sharing happens all the time

Common opinion: You have to use C++ to write KDE
Answer: see previous question

Common opinion: The KDE League is just the GNOME foundation with a
different name, steering KDE.
Answer: no.

This is just a smattering of what I've seen repeated on #kde-users, or
slashdot, or whatever.
--
Neil Stevens - neil@qualityassistant.com