List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] today's Gnossip
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () qualityassistant ! com>
Date:       2002-02-25 18:45:18

On Monday February 25, 2002 10:15, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> Neil Stevens <neil@qualityassistant.com> wrote:
> > But what's more important?  Adding comfort for occasional posters, or
> > saving the regular contributors from floods of abusers?
>
> I submit that requiring registration on freekde.org never really
> stopped the trolls on that site

How do you define troll?  I don't brand anyone who happens to disagree
with the popular opinion with a name.  The loudest dissent on freekde.org
was from people who 1) assumed that I blindly obeyed Richard Stallman or
2) earnestly made arguments that differed with the ones presented by the
site, arguments that are sometimes made by notable KDE contributors.  I'm
inclined to label neither as "trolling," as opposed to what I will outline
below from dot.kde.org.

> , although it stopped many people from posting.

And I had different priorities.  I'm asking you what your priorities are:
convenience for the occasional poster seems to outweigh doing something
about obvious troublemakers.  For freekde I've consciously traded off the
desires of occasional posters for the desires of regular readers.

> The high barrier of entry pretty much stunted freekde.org's ability to
> recruit regular contributors, in my opinion.  I say this because most
> articles, no matter how good, usually did not have any comments
> attached to them.
>
> Where are the floods of abusers on the dot?

Look at the one on Red Flag Linux (http://dot.kde.org/1014385110/):

Comment 1 attacks both China and KDE, by dismissing KOffice and playing on
the popular blaming of China for spam these days.  I'd be inclined to call
it a troll - hostility for everything and little to back it up.

Comment 2 is my low-content comment - only real issue is a question on
multimedia which couldn't be answered easily since the download site was
slow and they had no screenshots.

hmm.. and now as I look the ones I was going to point out have obviously
been deleted, as I seem to remember that many following mine were from a
particular anti-Chinese poster. :-)

So, I'll say that vigilant deleting would work, but dot.kde.org editors
frequently seem busy, so deleting alone isn't enough to contain the
problem, as by the time the deletes happen, the discussion's already been
hijacked.

--
Neil Stevens
neil@qualityassistant.com

Don't think of a bug as a problem.  Think of it as a call to action.