List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE distibution
From:       Jono Bacon <jonobacon_lists () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-02-21 10:57:52

On Wednesday 20 February 2002 7:52 pm, Eduardo Sanchez wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 February 2002 14:28, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> > Red Hat on the other hand has nothing but a reputation of robustness
> > and being well-thought out in *its* target market.  They have to be
> > doing something right.
>
> Navindra, this is just a reality check. See this dot.kde.org thread:
>
> http://dot.kde.org/1013639318/1013642328/1013642856/1013643134/1013643549/1
> 013644563/1013647432/
>
> They can't be robust -and KDE friendly- with bugs like this.

Sorry Nav - I have to agree with Eduardo. RedHat do not create a robust
product - they certainly create a corporatly friendly product - and it works
at the level that a typical enterprise may require with callpacks, security
updates and the like - but it is certainly not the best Linux out there IMHO.

I disagree that Mandrake has bad design - yes it has some silly design errors,
but it has put Linux in a better position for new users. I knowmany people
who can use Mankdrake ok, but have trouble with other distro's.

Xandros and Lycoris look interesting also.

	Jono