List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE in top 1.5%
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2002-02-21 0:30:39

Mark Bucciarelli wrote:

> - 3000 comments on DOJ / M$ suit.
> - 47 comments published--KDE makes the cut.
>
> Nice work to KDE League (Dre) on this one.

Thanks for your kind words.

> There's been a bit of negative
> dialoge re: KDE League here, but this score is huge.  Look at the company
> this associates KDE with.  Talk about great (and free!) PR.  In addition,
> it gives the judge solid ammunition for a much stricter settlement.
>
> Plus Korea. Plus Bundestag (sp?).  These are big wins.
>
> Now, if we could only find two or three developers to finish the import /
> export filters for kOffice ...
>
> I do think there is a need for centralized support of KDE volunteers who
> set up boths and so on.  If KDE League isn't interested in that role (and
> it seems pretty clear from their actions that they are not), why not take
> the Free Software approach and FORK.

Last year's budget did not allocate sufficient funds for shows, and I
anticipate that this will change in this year's budget.  I cannot
guarantee anything, as a number of people have to agree on the budget,
and there are a lot of worthy projects to work on.  It would certainly
help, if people on this list volunteered to do some of the work.  Some
things have to be funded, such as printing, but other things require the
affection and dedication of knowledgeable people, such as the brochures,
posters, etc.

> A possible mission is to simply
> support KDE volunteers who set up boths at shows.  This is a clearly
> defined and rather small mission, which is a Good Thing (TM).
>
> Maybe a web site that:
>
> (1) keep tabs on all the linux conferences going on around the world

I think Eva is working on this.

> (2) allows volunteers to  indicate that they would like to staff a booth

The kde-events list is for this.  I think also Eva is hoping to work on
a website that would incorporate the information from the list in a
better presentation than the list archives.  Of course, more volunteers
would help for this :-).

> (3) provides a central place for KDE artists to submit their work

There is a kde-artists list, and the artist.kde.org website, so I think
that would be the place to work on that initiative.

> (4) (perhaps) maintains a small inventory of glossy brochures

The League is paying for the initial set of brochures printed mainly for
the German shows but also distributed in the US.  What would be a great
project for a volunteer would be to improve that brochure, and the
League would pay for printing and distribution.  Unfortunately I am too
busy to do much on this myself.

> (5) (perhaps) maintains an inventory of print on demand t-shirt designs
> (6) (perhaps) sets up a paypal account for receiving donations for PR.

This is in progress, both for KDE and the KDE League.  Should be up by
next week.

> Having seen the KDE booth at the Linux Expo in NYC, it was great, but only
> because Christopher Molnar and Ian Geisner (sp?) put in a lot of their own
> individual effort--no help on the PR side, and it showed.  The booth was
> busy and I think t-shirts would have sold well.

My company actually has several hundreds of Konqi t-shirts, but due to
some problems I did not bring any to New York.  As a general rule, the
problem with merchandise like t-shirts and CDs is ensuring the money and
left-overs end up where they should.  This problem will also confront
"booth kit" items such as brochures, laptops, displays or anything else
of value.

Ciao,

Dre
/ note that when I sign Dre I only speak for myself /