List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Negative feedback about KDE non-openmindedness in  german Heise-Forum
From:       Karl-Heinz Zimmer <khz () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-02-20 14:03:05

http://heise.de/newsticker/foren/go.shtml?read=1&msg=878&g=20020219jk003

> > My 'problem' is not that they decided to work together with the
> > Gnome people but the reasons _why_ they made this decision.

> ACK. I think this shows us, that the people around Miguel are much
> more professional.

I am not sure that this is correct.  Maybe you are right, maybe not.

What the writer of the above linked posting is telling is that they
could more easy cooperate with the Gnome people and that they like the
way those people are...

I am not sure if the reason is their being 'more professional' - to me
it looks like they just _listened_ _more_ _carefully_ to that guy.

But, OK, this is an aspect of being professional, that's right.

> If there are some plans to make KDE usefull for professional Desktops
> and Offices, the developer must listen to requirements of the Companies.

I agree to your point but I do not agree to your 'must'.

The developers 'must' nothing but try to have fun while coding, talking,
making plans...

But perhaps you could say: "The developers should consider listening
a bit more carefully to business users or other professionals asking
for improvements or asking for some kind of cooperation."

Cooperation with a company in not necessarrily bad.  :-)

Of course: Allowing a company to become dominant about the project _would_
be bad, but to me it does not look like that was a big risk in the case
the above mentioned link discussed.

> Ignorance will not be usefull in this case (in no case).

That's right, seems some people were not so happy about that man asking for
cooperation and it seems they did not act in a very diplomatical way when
expressing their feelings...

> KDE is technological a step in front, but the GNOMEs seems to be more
> professional.

Perhaps you are right, perhaps not.
Maybe they only 'seem' to be more professional...

> hat may be the reason for SUN to integrate their StarOffice with GNOME,

That's wrong.

The reason for SUN having decided to cooperate with the Gnome team was
very simple:

1. They knew that they would be able to tell the Gnome people what to do
   and what to do not.
2. They knew this would never be possible with the KDE team (since the
   KDE people are not allowing anybody to geve orders)

> and this will be the reason for more things like that.

I don't think so.

I think this case way an unfortunate coincidence and I am sure that
by having it mentioned here the people to whom this applies are going
to read the complaint and think about it... next time they will react
in a more sophisticated way. probably. hopefully.  :-)

To me it looks like this:

(-) It is nonsense to agree to everything because you hope that the
    planned cooperation with company X will push your project and
    improve your position.

(+) It is wise NOT to say NO toooo fast if somebody asks for ways of
    cooperation with her/his company: Not every company is evil-minded.

Just my 2 cents.  :-))

  Karl-Heinz