List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE distibution
From:       Jono Bacon <jonobacon_lists () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-02-20 10:37:39

On Wednesday 20 February 2002 12:21 am, David Faure wrote:
> > "Hey, got the new Linux 4" "Sure, I love the game collection
> > especially..." (what was meant was actually <joint distro>4, Linux kernel
> > 4.4.18, Qt 5, KDE 5.2.2, KOffice 4.6.2 but who cares....)
>
> This is funny, because it's not the far future at all, this is already
> the case... In Paris I saw people saying "I've got Linux 8.0",
> when they really mean Mandrake 8.0.
> And they don't know which version of what is in it, obviously.
>
> Sorry, this doesn't really answer the whole post, it just struck
> me as really not different from what distributions are already doing.

I have had experience of people used to seeing people using Linux with KDE and
when they see it with another desktop such as GNOME they ask what OS it is.
It seems that many associate KDE as Linux.

As for the group distro - I doubt it will ever happen as no one will agree on
where it should go. Mandrake have vastly different (and better IMHO)
objectives to RedHat.

As for a KDE distro - this has been discussed many times, and will only happen
if someone makes it happen. I would certainly bugtest it but have no time to
develop it (nor have the knowledge of OS design) at the moment.

I think Xandros will be an interesting one to look at.

	Jono