List:       kde-promo
Subject:    RE: [kde-promo] news.news.com.com
From:       Philippe FREMY <P.FREMY () OBERTHURCS ! com>
Date:       2002-02-18 8:58:17

> "KDE turns Desktop into Gateway to the World"
> "New Software puts the World on your Desktop"
> "New Desktop for Global World"
> "Global World gets Global Desktop"
> "Konquer the World with new Desktop"
> "New Desktop Konquers the World"
> "Global Software for a Global World."

I suggest against using the word Global. I don't know hot is sounds in
english, but in french, it has a negative feeling because of the
"globalisation" (don't know if the word exist), the new concept that
basically kills local business for worldwide business. This is the kind of
thing that was fought in Porto Allegre.

I also dislike the word Konquer because it is too aggressive. Remember spain
conquered south america and this was not for the benefit of the locals
there.

But the general idea is certainly good.

Non technical users usually know two things: Apple/Macintosh and
Microsoft/Windows. The usually don't realise what a "desktop" is. A friend
of mine was sure that KDE was Dos. When I showed him what it was,he told me
it was Windows. Should we target this kind of users ? Personally, I would
prefer more developers than more users.

Anyway, for me, the thing that could be appealing in KDE is:
- it works on Macintosh or PC
- this is just as easy to use as Windows or the equivalent (people don't
know what MacOs is).
- it is free (free beer or free speech don't make any difference for users)
- it is developed by a worldwide team
- it is the desktop for the world: 45 translated languages, support for the
most difficult alphabet (arabic, hebrew, russian, chinese).

Okay, that's maybe too much to say in a single sentence, but these are the
interesting stuff for ignorant people.

	regards,

	Philippe