List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE League Issues
From:       Jono Bacon <jonobacon_lists () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-02-13 11:01:09

On Tuesday 12 February 2002 3:51 pm, Philippe FREMY wrote:
> I entirely agree that the KDE League should make its actions more public.
> We all have the impression that it was once created but that absolutely
> nothing has happened since.

This is the impressiion I have had and as KDE developers, we should be kept in
the loop.

> Andreas told us that he was finilizing the budget someting like 6 month ago
> and we have never heard about anything since.
> I would appreciate a periodical report of what's going on : meeting, new
> members, actions.
> I would also like to know what we can actually expect from the KDE League
> in term of support and promotion. For the moment, I would say nothing!

Similer experiences.

> I do not agree with Jono on the fact that the League should sponsor
> research or usability study. Those thing are expensive and can be done
> without money. But printing a big K poster like the one David Faure got for
> the Linux Expo (not from the KDE League) and sending it to Expo organisers
> is a cheap action.

What I mean is contributing to research - for example phone and travel.  could
do some decent research papers if I could afford the phone and travel
expenses.

> On a sidenote, Jono, you should be more careful. KDE and the KDE League
> don't owe you anything. Whatever you gave (and you gave much, to the
> project, thanx), you gave it for free. Every decision you make to spend
> money for helping KDE is your own. Right now, there is nothing  that makes
> me think about any promised support, especially finicial, from anyone. The
> T-shirts at the Paris Linux Expo were printed on Gerard's own money and if
> none would have been sold, he would have lost 600 euros.

I realise this - and I have no problem doing 90% of my stuff for free, but the
last 10% I cant do without some kind of funding.

The thing which I would like to see is a guidence document on what kind of
stuff I could possibly get funding for.

> I remember a mail from Tink one year ago expressing exactly the same
> feeling as yours. There is money but nobody knows how it is beeing spent
> and if any support is available from the League. Just like you I feel this
> is not the way it should be done. But I won't bet any penny on a financial
> support.
>
> I would really prefer that the KDE League member create a non-profit
> association with an open budget and a clear stance on what is being done.

I completely agree. The LEague needs to be as open as KDE - if things are not
resolved it is not good for KDE or the League.

	Jono