List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: KDE and the Euro symbol
From:       Rinse de Vries <Rinse () daxis ! nl>
Date:       2001-12-19 0:18:10

> From: David Faure <David@mandrakesoft.com>
> To: kde-promo@mail.kde.org
> Subject: Re: [kde-promo] Re: KDE and the Euro symbol
> Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 22:40:18 +0100

On Monday 17 December 2001 22:39, Rinse de Vries wrote:
> Op woensdag 12 december 2001 12:04, schreef David Faure:
> .

> > However, the information is quite hidden on the KDE site. For users it's
> > hard
> > to find IMHO.

> Sure. I didn't make it very proeminent because I thought it needed more
> input first - there's only my side of the story on that page ;)
> I got some feedback, but rather "it doesn't work for me" than helpful
> additions.
> Anyway, the above suggests that those explanations are helpful,
> which is good news ;)

Well in the newsgroup everybody but one managed to get Eurosupport in
Linux/KDE.  The guy who didn't get eurosupport is experiencing some trouble
with Xmodmap: when he does the command
xmodmap -e ...
The ¤ appears using ALTgr + E, but as soon as he places it in the file
~/.Xmodmap, nothing happens. At his work they have the same problem, and they
are figuring out what's wrong (they recently moved from Windows to Linux/kde,
so they are quite new at it :) . As soon as they have an answer, he will
contact me what went wrong and how they fixed it.
As soon as I have this info I will contact you.

Meanwhile I have some additions:
The only problem most users experience is getting the Eurosign on their
keyboard. The howto describes how to set up Eurosupport using the Altgr-key.
However, most old keyboards in The Netherlands (like mine) don't have this
key. Just pressing the right ALT key with the E key is nog helping. In the
group I suggested to look for a key  on their keyboard which they never use,
then find out with xev which keycode it uses, and assign ¤ to this key.
e.g. I don't use the right Windows-key on my keyboard, so I placed
keycode 116 = EuroSign
in my Xmodmap.

Another idea, when assigning a key to ¤ is no option, is using the special
character applet in Kicker.

[...]
> > Isn't it a good idea to make your howto available in the FAQ?

> Surely but I have no idea how to modify the FAQ
> (does it come from a .docbook/.sgml ? how to regenerate the HTML
> from it ? Or is it simple .html files on the website ? I think not, since it
> also exists as part for the KDE docu, right ?).
> Feel free to investigate and to contact e.g. the last FAQ maintainer,
> or the documentation team...
OK I shall contact them about this.

Kind regards, Rinse