List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Re: as far as theKompany is concerned
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-12-10 14:55:48

On Monday 10 December 2001 15:40, Shawn Gordon wrote:
> > Kivio is a kopart, used kio slaves like _every single kde application_, open
> > a file dialog, type some URL, they all use kio slaves.
>
> no really understanding you here, but other than the fact that Kivio runs
> in Koshell, there is nothing else to it, there is no kio_slave viewer for
> konqueror, embedding doesn't work - it is for all intents and purposes a
> stand alone application.

Read again. Any _KDE_ application automatically gets access to the
"network transparency" offered by KDE. That means, you can open files that
are stored on an FTP or HTTP server. We're talking about the user's documents
here, the documents loaded into kivio, and saved by it.
A Qt only application doesn't have that capability, at least not without a quite
big amount of development.
This is only one of the things that the KDE libraries offer, there are many more
(configurable toolbars and keybindings, integrated look-n-feel, configuration
on multiple hierarchical levels, and many more, but the network transparency
is probably the best example here).

> > Now, I keep most of my files on my http server, that way I can access them
> > from the labs, from work, from a thousand other places. I just tried Kivio
> > MP. Oops!

There.

I'm not porting a judgement here, or trying to tell you what to do. I'm simply
pointing out what a KDE application offers compared to a non-KDE application
(e.g. Qt only), and why users (some, at least) would prefer real KDE applications
over "applications that run inside the KDE desktop" - even gnome apps run
inside the KDE desktop.

http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~david/ , http://www.konqueror.org/
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops