List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Donations to KDE
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-11-12 16:24:40

On Lundi 12 Novembre 2001 02:53, Marco Krohn wrote:
> On Monday 12 November 2001 02:10, Daniel Naber wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > My personal opinion on this: we simply don't need the people's money, we
> > need their time.
>
> [...]
> > It's similar for people: it's difficult to hire people because you cannot
> > guarantee a long-term payment. Also people who have a job cannot just quit
> > it for two month when they are paid by KDE.
>
> I agree with almost everything you wrote. Nevertheless there are people who
> do not want to or can not spend time on KDE, but want to donate money (which
> in a way is equivalent to time).

Right. And such people can already donate money to KDE,
see http://www.kde.org/support.html
Mirko Boehm handles the donations, and the KDE e.V. legal entity
holds the bank account.

> Concerning the "hire people" part: _my_ impression was that there are some
> students/pupils working on KDE and before these do some borring job to earn
> their money for living, they could also be paid to work for KDE.

Right, but the donations are never so big as to allow to actually pay
someone, they're only big enough for covering travel expenses for
conferences, payment for business cards, and such smaller things.
Besides, choosing who to pay for his work on KDE would be a pretty
tough job.

> Also I like the point from Carsten about sponsoring hacking events.

Sure.

> [...]

http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~david/ , http://www.konqueror.org/
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops