List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Donations to KDE
From:       Marco Krohn <marco.krohn () web ! de>
Date:       2001-11-12 1:53:51

On Monday 12 November 2001 02:10, Daniel Naber wrote:

Hi,

> My personal opinion on this: we simply don't need the people's money, we
> need their time.

[...]
> It's similar for people: it's difficult to hire people because you cannot
> guarantee a long-term payment. Also people who have a job cannot just quit
> it for two month when they are paid by KDE.

I agree with almost everything you wrote. Nevertheless there are people who
do not want to or can not spend time on KDE, but want to donate money (which
in a way is equivalent to time).

Concerning the "hire people" part: _my_ impression was that there are some
students/pupils working on KDE and before these do some borring job to earn
their money for living, they could also be paid to work for KDE.

Also I like the point from Carsten about sponsoring hacking events.

Well, a final word from me: we in Germany say "Geld verdirbt den Charakter"
which could be translated roughly with "money is bad for the character". I am
aware of the fact that too much money could be counterproductive for an open
source project (in the same way IMHO too much industrial involvement is bad
for an open source project--this is one reason for me against gnome btw).

What I want to say is that one has to set up some rules before starting with
collecting money to ensure that the open source character of KDE is at no
point in time endangered and stop collecting money if their is no useful way
of spending it.

If there is at least a bit interest I would write an email to the freenet
guys and asking them for their experiences up to now.

Marco

--
Marco Krohn
Theoretical Physics