List:       kde-print
Subject:    Re: Printing Plain text from Kmail
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2002-08-26 8:45:49

> 1. Disable the color printing option from kprinter properties dialog.

No effect, as you need some action at PS generation time. You gray
background (or whatever color) will be printed, even if you print in grayscale.

> 2. Tried to install a new filter which would have let me use a tool like a2ps
>    or enscript or mp. Sure there is an enscript filter but I have faced a
>    problem with that too. Apparently the input that this filter is getting is
>    postscript and I am not able to find a filter which will convert postscript
>    to text.

enscript and a2ps filters expect plain text as input. But all KDE apps
generate postscript output, not text. You cannot use those filters at
this stage.

> 3. Enabled the tick in HTML settings which says "Printer friendly settings
>    (black text, no background)". This seems to make no difference.

It should, but only for the header part.

> 4. Tried to create a pseudo printer (for mp) which would have used the output
>    of kmail and printed it in PS on my printer.
> 5. This one works. Save the message and then parse this through mp.

Actually, the problem is to be found in kmail, not in kdeprint, so you
should send a message there. However, I just compiled kmail and tried,
but I cannot reproduce the problem you describe. Whatever the background
color, the message gets printed on white paper, without background.
Note that I'm using fresh CVS code. So it may be possible that the
problem got already solved. I remember that it has already been
discussed a few weeks ago.

Bye.
Michael.