List:       kde-print
Subject:    Re: kdeprint does not print :-(
From:       Nick Martens <nickm () kabelfoon ! nl>
Date:       2002-08-01 9:21:07

On Wednesday 31 July 2002 15:22, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:

> First off: it would be very helpful for those who try to help you if they
> knew which version of KDE and KDEPrint you are using and also maybe, which
> Operating System (KDE is not only for Linux... :-) and which release...

Qt: 3.0.3
KDE: 3.0.1
kprinter: 0.0.1

Kde version is 3.0.1 with the kde-print included
os is linux-2.4.18 release is uhhm a recent Linuxfromscratch

> > I can print in cups but not in kde using gimp-print
>
> You mean, you have installed a PPD in CUPS which identifies itself as
> "Gimp-Print"?

no i installed the gimp-print drivers for cups
gimp-print installs a lot of ppds for lots of printers
(except of course the s500)

> > i can print using a simple 'lp file.jpg' but i cannot print a jpg-file in
> > kde does anyone know what is causing this ??
>
> How are you trying to bring it about?
if I open a file with the command kprinrter or any other kdeprint method i
cups the job shows up as aborted

> > the printer is a canon S500 and it
> > should work with the bjc8200 driver
>
> If it works with CUPS and "lp file.jpg", it should also work with
> "kprinter file.jpg". "kprinter --nodialog" will print it silently
> in the background.
that works in the case of png jpg and some other formats
if i print using kvies the job shows up in cups as aborted
also i cannot print postscript files and fdf files and so on not even normal
text
i think it has something to do with the fact that i can't print ps files am I
missing some program ?

not even on the commandline :-(
i don't know excactly how the printing system works but I think the data is
converted to ps by kde and that might be the reason it won't print ??

> Note, that you might need to use the "--stdin" parameter, depending on the
> version you operate.
>
> Items to check:  * Is the kprinter dialog popping up?
>                   * Is CUPS the selected print subsystem in the lower right

yes all ok
> corner? * Can you select your printer (in case you've more than one)? *

yes i can
> Check if the selected printer has a "Filter" associated with it. If so,
> remove it (kprinter --> "Properties" --> select the "Filters" tab...)

no filters there
>                   * If you are asked wether you want KDEPrint to convert
> the file, select "No" (or is it named "Keep"?) and let it be handed to CUPS
> "as is"...
it doesn't work with convert nor with keep