List:       kde-print
Subject:    Re: kdeprint does not print :-(
From:       "Kurt Pfeifle" <kpfeifle () danka ! de>
Date:       2002-07-31 15:22:22

Nick Martens wrote:
> Hi I am trying to solve a printing problem I have

First off: it would be very helpful for those who try to help you if they
knew which version of KDE and KDEPrint you are using and also maybe, which
Operating System (KDE is not only for Linux... :-) and which release...

> I can print in cups but not in kde using gimp-print

You mean, you have installed a PPD in CUPS which identifies itself as
"Gimp-Print"?

> i can print using a simple 'lp file.jpg' but i cannot print a jpg-file in kde
> does anyone know what is causing this ??

How are you trying to bring it about?

> the printer is a canon S500 and it
> should work with the bjc8200 driver

If it works with CUPS and "lp file.jpg", it should also work with
"kprinter file.jpg". "kprinter --nodialog" will print it silently
in the background.

Explore the following command(s):
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|  kdehead@kde-bitshop:~> kprinter -v
|  Qt: 3.0.6-snapshot-20020712
|  KDE: 3.0.6 (KDE 3.1 alpha1)
|  kprinter: 0.0.1

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Note, that you might need to use the "--stdin" parameter, depending on the
version you operate.

Items to check:  * Is the kprinter dialog popping up?
                  * Is CUPS the selected print subsystem in the lower right corner?
                  * Can you select your printer (in case you've more than one)?
                  * Check if the selected printer has a "Filter" associated
                    with it. If so, remove it (kprinter --> "Properties" --> select
                    the "Filters" tab...)
                  * If you are asked wether you want KDEPrint to convert the file,
                    select "No" (or is it named "Keep"?) and let it be handed to
                    CUPS "as is"...