List:       kde-print
Subject:    Re: pretty printing from Kate
From:       "Kurt Pfeifle" <kpfeifle () danka ! de>
Date:       2002-06-13 8:37:29

Albert Wagner wrote:

> After browsing the archives and docs I cannot see a way to print page headers

What do you mean, "header pages"? Separately printed sheets, like "banner pages",
or text pages with a separate header, frame etc. as formatted by enscript and
"a2ps"?

> from Kate using CUPS.  Is this true?

Yes.

> I used to use enscript for this

The only workaround presently is to save the text and print from a separate
commandline.

> but the
> archives seem to say that all KDE apps automatically format print output as
> PS.

That's true for printing directly to and thru a "real" print subsystem.

There is possibly an alternative: If you switch to "Print through an external
program (generic)" [see drop-down menu besides "Print system currently used:"],
you  make the "Print Command" field editable. Here you can insert the "a2ps"
command (which takes Kate's PostScript output) and also formats it with headers
and frames and 2-up etc. as specified on the command line.

> Is there some other option I might explore?

Yes, "a2ps", which is what I use.   ;-)

Seriously:

KDE application developers have an option to cutomize kprinter. [Examples are
konqueror and kcron]. Maybe you should ask the Kate developers to implement an
option of "Print 'raw' text"? In this case you would hand the text  to the
"external program" and enscript or a2ps would do the formatting just like on
the commandline. Kate will then not generate PostScript for printing...

In any case, it is not the responsibility of KDEPrint or kprinter to make Kate
outputting s.th. different. It can only deal with what arrives and change that.
And it is flexible and powerful enough to do anything you can imagine....

Cheers,
Kurt