List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] hi everybody !
From:       Gerold Strobel <gs () gerold-strobel ! de>
Date:       2001-07-05 14:20:58

> I'm new to this mailing-list [...]

the same applies to me, hi folks

> "official" pim for kde. I use kmail in collaboration with korganizer but...
> those two software aren't as homogeneous as Outlook or Evolution can be. Is
> there any plan to make a full-featured pim or to link the email/organizer
> software ?

I don't really see a need for that. One can easily handle two programs, by
the way, if I only want to check mail, why would I open the contact/calendar
manager?

> Finally, the most important feature request would be a Micro$oft Exchange
> compatibility (sending / receiving contacts / tasks / dates)

I got a better one: replace Exchange!

recently in dot.kde.org (or some other site) there where a few papers
announced which discuss future development of PIM. Sounds pretty cool. It
would make a fine replacement for Exchange if you have an imap server in the
office. The only thing I lacked was groupware functions like seeing/manageing
other peoples contacts/appointments. maybe the guys already thought of that,
yet it wasn't mentioned.
Combine that with a compatible client for windows and you can smoothly
migrate your office to KDE without the need to change all machines at a time.

Unfortunately I didn't save the URL yet I saved the stuff, if anyone is
interested I can send them, but maybe someone else - maybe the author - posts
the url.

--

Gerry