List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] hi everybody !
From:       Christopher Molnar <molnarc () nebsllc ! com>
Date:       2001-07-05 14:37:11

I'm sorry, I can't let this go without a reply and even though the reply
may not be popular it is worth saying (again)....

Gerold Strobel wrote:

> > "official" pim for kde. I use kmail in collaboration with korganizer but...
> > those two software aren't as homogeneous as Outlook or Evolution can be. Is
> > there any plan to make a full-featured pim or to link the email/organizer
> > software ?
>
> I don't really see a need for that. One can easily handle two programs, by
> the way, if I only want to check mail, why would I open the contact/calendar
> manager?

Because this is what the users in most companies are used to. In order
to make Linux a mainstream for the desktops and actually a valid choice
for most IT departments we need to present an easy migration curve. This
means not having to replace all software overnight, not having to
retrain all employees overnight, but let things happen little by little.
This means being able to install a KDE desktop and have the users not
have to think about a different OS. They need to think about the work
they are doing. This is productivity and in the end, money for the
company that employees them.

> > Finally, the most important feature request would be a Micro$oft Exchange
> > compatibility (sending / receiving contacts / tasks / dates)
>
> I got a better one: replace Exchange!

While I sort of agree (I really do not care for Microsoft) Bottom line
again, this will  not happen. Exchange actually has a pretty nice
contact/calendar/task server. The ability to share, email, remote access
your information is unmatched in the Linux world. Granted, KDE is a
desktop environment, but it really needs this server based functionality
to compete. The first step will happen when the windows based desktops
can connect to and use a Linux based "exchange-like server". Then we
will see the desktops start to be converted.

> office. The only thing I lacked was groupware functions like seeing/manageing
> other peoples contacts/appointments. maybe the guys already thought of that,
> yet it wasn't mentioned.
> Combine that with a compatible client for windows and you can smoothly
> migrate your office to KDE without the need to change all machines at a time.

Windows has a compatable client (outlook). We need a compatable server.
The coprorate market is starting to trust Linux as a server platform. We
need to have the functionality of exchange to completely replace NT.

Just my .02 USD.

-Chris