List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Re: Generic XML conduit
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-28 8:18:35

On Wednesday 27 June 2001 17:38, Johan Persson wrote:

> I have been thinking on writing a generic xml conduit. My first thought was
> to write a conduit that synced my schedule (which I get in a xml format)
> but then I thought that it would be much more fun to write a thingie that
> could sync any xml document as long as there was another xml document
> describing it according to rules put up.

That's a good idea.

> This way is would be very easy to sync things that is available in the oh
> so popular xml format.

If you had some general syncing mechanism, you just would have to set up some
kind of description, how the xml data should be interpreted, what's the basic
unit of syncing, how to identify it, how to detect, if it has changed, etc.
This might not be possible for all xml documents, but at least, if you have
some control over the data in the document, it should be feasible.

> I have been looking around and I have not been able to find anyone else
> working on something like this. I just thought I would do a last check
> before starting designing.

I proposed a general syncing library libKSync a while ago. A generic XML
syncer would be a great component for this. It looks like we really have to
start coding now... :-)