List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: KDE PIM Roadmap (Call to action)
From:       Nick Papadonis <npapadon () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-06-14 15:44:50

Mike Pilone <mpilone@slac.com> writes:
> I was recently talking with Greg Stern (of abbrowser conduit fame) about the
> state of KDE PIM. In our discussions, we started to through around some ideas
> of redesigning the entire KDE PIM API.
>
> I spent a few hours the other day brain storming and writing down my ideas.
> Most of these ideas are things I have seen as points of concern for the KDE
> developers.

Mike,

Your page looks good.  The type of design you speak of requires MANY
development hours, nevermind the coordination involved.  I think if a
proper roadmap and reference is established, things should flow later.

Your diagram is a good representation of how things should be.  I
think the best way to coordinate something like this is with DFDs and
arch diagrams.   Maybe we can establish some API reference so everyone
can meet in the middle?

I do think KDE PIM needs to switch to a database for storage.  The
VCAL files are great, but don't provide the functionality ( or
robustness ) of applications like MS Outlook.

I believe Outlook integrates all email, contact, todos, and calender
information in a central database.  KDE PIM should store everything in
DB except emails.

What do you think?

--
Nick