List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: Best method to access the KDE addressbook?
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-16 11:27:33

On Wednesday 16 May 2001 13:10, Bernd Lachner wrote:

> I try to acces the KDE addressbook from my own program. At the moment I use
> the KabAPI or better said the AddressBook class.

Have a look at kandy in the kdepim module for another program using KabAPI
(see function readKab() in file mobilegui.cpp).

> Then I have a short look into the abbrowser source code and it seems that
> it don't use the KabAPI or the AddressBook class. It seems abbrowser acces
> the address database in an other way. Which is the best way to access the
> address database? Which way is supported in the future?

KabAPI currently is the best way, because it directly accesses the central
KDE addressbook, but the API has its problems. We are currently working on a
better addressbook implementation for KDE (have a look at kdepim/kab2).