List:       kde-pim
Subject:    KPilot developer's notes for april 26th 2001
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2001-04-26 19:18:39

KPilot Developer's notes for april 26th 2001

Ahh, spring is in the air; the time when a young man's mind turns
to nights of C++ hacking. This has been a great few weeks for open-
source collaboration. I've had useful and helpful mail from Philipp
Hullmann, Martin Junius, and Marko Gronoos (maybe more -- if i've
forgotten you please complain privately) with patches, hints, and
offers of help. Thanks guys!

* Fixed the non-initialization of the conduitCombo pointer by
  removing it completely. (Thanks Martin!) At compile-time you can
  choose between XML and traditional UI style. [19-4]
* Greg's abbrowser conduit is (almost) ready for the prime-time! [23-4]
* Fixed bug where absent executables could hang the conduit
  setup dialog. [23-4]
* Fixed small UI bug where toggling toolbar didn't resize the contents
  of the main KPilot window. [23-4]
* Removed unnecessary connection to (serial) pilot database when
  conduits are started in --info or --setup mode. [23-4]
* Discovered many i18n bugs in the sendmail conduit. Ouch. Some fixed. [23-4]
* In a flash, implemented sending-via-KMail in the sendmail conduit.
  This is utterly untested and possibly hazardous. I'd appreciate it
  if some people used a test account for KMail and tried it out.
  I will too, soon. [23-4]
* Looked for the right place to force KPilot conduits to use the KPilot
  .po file. The TLs are now OK. Thanks to Marko for prodding me to sort
  this bug out (conduit in Finnish is "siirtokanava"). [24-4]
* Added QToolTips and buddies to the NULL conduit setup. [24-4]
* Fixed a bug in the KMail sending if you use a different outbox
  from "outbox". [26-4]
* Made KPilotLink::addSyncLogEntry marginally more useful -- this
  is to work towards a read log window. As a side effect (which
  obscures what I've done a little) I've reformatted kpilotlink.h
  according to the coding style guide, and added docs. [26-4]

Todo:

* Found out why the vcal and todo conduits are so slow -- they
  really do read in the whole Pilot database through the serial
  line *twice* each sync. This needs fixing. [19-4]
* Add QToolTips to the remaining conduits. [24-4]
* Add "buddies" to relevant entry fields (usually QLineEdits). [24-4]
* Remove all the UI stuff from KPilotLink and put it somewhere sensible.
[26-4]
* Split KPilotLink into the client and server ends. [26-4]

The following list is stuff from the ChangeLog that was once on
the Todo list; I'm repeating it here because it was time we went
through it again to see how things stand. I've added comments in
[ ] after each.

* Split KPilotLink into its separate functionalities: config management,
  local database management, and link from daemon to conduits. [partly
  done, but kpilotlink still serves both ends of a client-server link]
* Make KPilot and KPilotDaemon communicate only through DCOP. [bad idea -
  causes extra overhead, and the kpilotlink protocol is pretty good]
* Add an extra message concerning NULL user on hotsync.
* Make the progress bar show something during a conduit sync.
* Should just use the KPilotLink::config object to store all kinds
  of user settings instead of copying them from the config file to
  local variables, since this is just asking for inconsistency.
  [dunno -- as long as KPilot is the app for configuring what the
  daemon does, we just have to get KPilot to tell the daemon to re-
  read the config file when something changes.]
* Clean up more of the butt-ugly parts of the code base [less of this now!]
* KPilot is an i18n nightmare [less of this now!]
* The password dialog in the popmail conduit is probably a very bad idea
  I think kdesud should come into play here. [not looked into]
* The messages need validation - Pilot vs pilot, HotSync vs whatever
* Actually *doing* a fast sync for Heiko
* More and better information in the progress bar
* KPilot should display the sync log as well, just like the Pilot
  does. This is useful for reporting the result of a sync to the
  user (who then doesn't need to look at the Pilot)
* I noticed Thomas Zander has submitted an official wishlist item:
  DateBk3 (the new date book format in PalmOS3.5) support. I think
  I'll get back to him on that when Mirko pans out with the free
  hardware goodies from Palm :)

--
[ade] at home: adridg@sci.kun.nl
Probably hacking at KPilot for KDE2.