List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: RFC: A different proposal
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-07-31 22:45:41

On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, Tim Rohrer wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Since it turns out that I don't need to write an API for LDAP support in KDE,
> I have been thinking about another project.  This time, before I start working
> I will propose it to you all and make sure someone else isn't already taking
> care of it.
>
> The proposal I have is to start working on getting printed output for the pim.
>  In particular, I would start with pulling data from an LDAP server and
> formatting it to different forms for printing.  Eventually, the different
> forms would include labels of most varieties and printouts for daytimers, etc.
>  This may be a trivial project if routines exist for formatting data properly
> to fit on printers.  Do we have an internal data format inside the pim
> framework? If so, I'll write stuff to make use of it so the integration into
> kab, etc., is easier.
>
> Thoughts, comments, etc.?

Interesting plan. Here's the current situation:

KOrganiser: Already know how to print, and does it reasonably well.
KMail: Asks the HTML widget to print.
Empath: Asks the HTML widget to print.
kab: No printing capability

So what's missing is kab's printing capability. We're looking at having a
set of standard fields in kab, plus an undefined set of non-standard.

This will probably mean we'll be giving the user these choices:
Print the whole thing as just name: value
Print the set of defined fields in a pretty way.

Once we're sure exactly which fields will be in the defined set, then we
can say for sure what the layout should be.

Pulling data from an LDAP server won't be something you'll need to concern
yourself with. That'll be handled by kab. You'll just talk to the KAB API.

One thing I have in mind is being able to save and load all PIM data as
XML. Seeing as there's only really me and Don coding at the moment, I don't
know whether there will be time before KDE 2.

Do you know anything about XML ? If I knew _how_ to write it, I'd knock
something up, but I'm having to learn CORBA on-the-fly and without a book
at the moment for kab, so I'm a little snowed under :)

Being able to save a mail message as XML just sounds cool to me ;)

Do you think this (XML export) is worth it, to help with printing ?

Cheers,
Rik

--
KDE - Colour Outside The Lines - http://www.kde.org