List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: Netscape drops vCard.
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () rikkus ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-07-04 0:26:57

On 04-Jul-99 Don Sanders wrote:
>> If this is true then it's got to be a Good Thing to use the same format.
> I'll go along with whatever you think is best.

Well, however much I try to convince myself that vCard is the way to go, I keep
realising it's only because I just wrote a parser and hate the idea of more
work. Looks like it would be just stupid to ignore a format used by the three
most popular mail clients on Windows, and therefore probably now the 'world
standard'. At least it's not an MS 'standard'.

>> /me gets very upset at the prospect of killing off the
>> nearly-finished-and-already-working vCard parser. I think the formats look
>> similar though.
> My sympathies

Ah well. It's an import + export filter now.

>> Anyone know what ldif is and where to find the spec ?
> Looks like a very new format. On the bright side this whole LDAP thing looks
> friendly check out www.openldap.org sometime.

Yup. Got the code, read the docs on the site, got scared, started hoping
someone's got some GPL'd C++ code to talk to LDAP ;)

I did find some C code in OpenLDAP to 'parse' ldif. I've realised it's not
exactly a well defined addressbook format like vCard...

> LDIF doesn't seem to be an addressbook specific format. Here is what I found

Thanks. I just searched through faqs.org/rfcs - I think I need an infobase ;)

Cheers,
Rik

--
KDE - Colour outside the lines  : http://www.kde.org